WATCH: Vicar sets himself alight during first ‘virtual’ church service

accreditation
Vicar lighting candles. (PHOTO: Getty Images)
Vicar lighting candles. (PHOTO: Getty Images)

Everything is going up in flames – even church services.

A vicar in the UK was left shell-shocked after accidentally setting his arm on fire while recording his very first virtual sermon.

Stephen Beach (61), from St Budeaux Parish Church in Plymouth, luckily escaped injury in the incident, reports ITV News.

In the video the Reverend Beach can be seen leaning over some candles to end his sermon when his jumper catches alight.

“Oh dear, I just caught fire,” he can be heard saying in the clip.

The vicar immediately saw the funny side of what happened and posted the video to YouTube.

Churches across the globe have closed their doors amid the Covid-19 pandemic and have started online services for mass worship in a bid to encourage social distancing.

“The whole thing is a bit surreal – there's never been a time where we've deliberately not gone to Sunday worship, so that's very strange,” the clergyman was reported saying by Sky News.

Other clergy have since poked fun at the Rev Beach and talked about him “being on fire for Jesus”.

“People have laughed and laughed, really,” he said.

Watch the full clip below.

Source: ITV News, YouTube, Sky News

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24