Smoky bacon and crispy green apples combine perfectly in this apple pie. Enjoy with fresh cream or cream cheese for dessert.
Apple pie with bacon lattice crust
1 roll (400g) puff pastry
4 green apples, cubed
80ml (?c) brown sugar
45ml (3T) corn flour
7ml (1,5t) ground cinnamon
45ml (3T) lemon juice
5ml (1t) grated lemon zest
250g streaky bacon
brown sugar or honey
whipped fresh cream or cream cheese and figs for serving
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Line a pie dish with puff pastry and chill until needed.
- Mix the apples, sugar, corn flour, cinnamon, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Spoon the apple mixture into the pastry crust.
- Make a lattice weave on top of the apples with the streaky bacon. Drizzle with the brown sugar or honey and bake for about 1 hour until the apples are soft and the bacon is crisp.
- Serve with whipped fresh cream or cream cheese and fresh figs.