Sweet-tart pickled tomatoes and a deliciously smooth bacon spread add heaps of flavour to a simple pretzel snack.
100g Eskort Bacon Spread
10g dry yeast
5ml (1t) white sugar
250ml (1c) warm water
625ml (2½c) bread flour
60ml (¼c) brown sugar
5ml (1t) salt
5ml (1t) chilli flakes
500ml (2c) hot water
60ml (¼c) bicarb
5ml (1t) coarse salt
125ml (½c) castor sugar
250ml (1c) white vinegar
5ml (1t) salt
5ml (1t) mustard seeds
500g rainbow tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Mix together the yeast, white sugar and warm water and allow to bloom for 10 minutes until it foamy.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and salt.
- Add the chilli flakes and yeast water. Knead until smooth and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Turn out the dough onto a flour-dusted surface and divide into 6 portions.
- Stretch the dough into ropes and shape into pretzels.
- Combine the hot water and bicarb in a bowl.
- Dip the pretzels in the hot bicarb water and place them on a greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with the coarse salt and bake for 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over moderate heat, heat the castor sugar, vinegar, salt and mustard seeds and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the vinegar boils, add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Put Eskort Bacon Spread on each pretzel and serve with the pickled tomatoes and a sweet preserve of your choice.