- 1 - onion, chopped
- 5cm - fresh ginger, sliced
- 6 - garlic cloves, peeled
- 5ml - Chinese 5-spice mix
- 5ml - mustard powder
- 5ml - paprika
- 125ml - tomato purée
- 60ml - apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 80ml - soy sauce
- 80ml - each brown sugar and honey
- 125ml - green rooibos tea or water as needed
- 1,5kg - pork neck, deboned, or 6 pork loin chops
- - salt and pepper
- 4 - sweet potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- ½ - head of cabbage, cut into wedges
- - juice of 1 lime
- 30ml - oil
- - rice vinegar
- 10ml - castor sugar
- 60g - each carrot and beetroot sticks
- 4 - radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 - green apple, cut into matchsticks
- - handful of fresh coriander, chopped
The quick carrot and-beetroot salad complements this dish beautifully. Soy sauce, spices and brown sugar in the sauce give it a wonderful salty and sweet flavour.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
1. Sauce Mix all the ingredients – except the rooibos or water – and blend in a food processor. Then add the rooibos or water and blend again.
2. Meat Arrange the meat in a single layer in an ovenproof dish or roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper, then add the sweet potatoes.
3. Pour the sauce over the meat and sweet potatoes. Cover and bake for about 1½ hours or until tender, adding more rooibos or water as needed.
4. Add the cabbage about 20 minutes before the meat is done. Continue baking until the pork is tender but the cabbage is still crispy.
5. Dressing Mix the ingredients.
6. Salad Mix the salad ingredients and pour the dressing over.
7. If you’ve used pork neck, break the meat into pieces. Serve the meat with the salad on the side or on top of the meat.
Tip Try other combinations of vegetables. Add apple wedges to the pork and mix thin strips of cabbage with the salad.
For more delicious pork recipes, go to SA Pork.