Thought meatballs should be made from beef or lamb? Think again! These pork meatballs have all the juice and flavour of soft bacon
What can be better than a subtle bacon flavour with a fresh herb sauce? Delicious and flavourful, these pork meatballs are sure to be a hit with your family. Why not try making them tonight? Pork mince is usually minced on demand, so ask for it at your grocery store’s butchery counter – and enjoy the fact that it is not only way more affordable than other mince, but also has double the flavour.
Makes about 18 medium-sized meatballs
Preparation time: 20 min | Resting time: 20 min | Cooking time: 20 min
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5ml oil
- 20g parsley, chopped
- 800g pork mince
- 1-2 carrots, grated
- 1 egg
- 2,5ml (½t) each ground cumin and paprika
- 5ml (1t) ground coriander
- 15ml (1T) Worcestershire sauce
- 60ml (¼c) oats
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 375ml (1½c) plain yoghurt
- 30ml (2T) coriander pesto
- 4-6 sweet potatoes, cooked and puréed
Preheat the oven to 190°C.
1. Over medium heat, fry the onion and garlic in some oil until soft. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, and allow to cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the onion mixture, mince, and the rest of the meatball ingredients. Gently mix with a fork until just combined. Don’t knead or overmix the meat, otherwise you’ll end up with a dense texture.
3. Form medium-sized meatballs. Place in a roasting pan, add a little water to the pan and brush each meatball with oil.
4. Roast for about 20 minutes or until just done.
1. Mix the yoghurt and pesto.
1. Spoon the purée on a plate and arrange the meatballs on top. Serve with the pesto yoghurt sauce.
For more delicious pork recipes, go to SA Pork.