- 1,5-2kg - stewing pork
- - salt and white pepper
- 15ml - olive oil
- 1 - onion, quartered
- 2 - bay leaves
- 250ml - chicken or vegetable stock
- - FILLING
- 15ml - olive oil
- 2 - onions, chopped
- 4 - garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 - carrots, peeled and chopped
- 300-350g - mixed mushrooms, cut into chunks
- 30ml - flour
- 30ml - green peppercorns, roughly chopped
- - grated zest of 2 lemons
- - handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- - handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- - salt
- - TO FINISH
- 2 - roll puff pastry
- 1 - egg yolk whisked with
- 10ml - water
A pie is great at Christmas time so try ours with its scrumptious pork and green peppercorn filling. You can make individual pies if you prefer.
1. Pork Season the meat with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pressure cooker and brown the meat in batches. Add the onion, bay leaves and stock, and cover with water. Cook under pressure for 1-1½ hours or until the meat is soft and falling off the bone.
3. Remove the meat from the pot and retain the liquid. Remove and discard any bones, skin and excess fat.
4. Filling Heat the olive oil in a deep pan and fry the onions and garlic until fragrant. Add the carrots and mushrooms and fry until done.
5. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and mix well. Add 250ml (1c) of the cooking liquid from the pork and stir through. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened slightly. Turn down the heat and add the pork. Add more of the cooking liquid if the mixture looks too dry.
6. Add the rest of the ingredients and season with salt if needed. Take the filling off the heat and let it cool completely.
7. Transfer the filling to a large pie dish or divide between two medium pie dishes.
8. To finish Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cover the pie dish(es) with the pastry and cut off the excess. Tuck the pastry snugly over the filling and crimp the edges. Decorate the pies with the excess pastry if you like.
9. Make a slit in the middle of the pastry lid on the pie(s). Transfer to aluminium freezer dishes and cover with clingfilm if you plan to cook them later. To complete, defrost if necessary, brush lightly with the egg wash and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown
For more delicious pork recipes, go to SA Pork.