It’s nearly that time of year when families and friends get together to celebrate the festive season. McCain has been a part of South African family meals for the past 20 years and while many things have changed, certain things never will: Good meals with the best company and the need for convenient, healthy and nutritious food that lets you spend less time in the kitchen and more time with your loved ones.
That’s why McCain is celebrating this 20-year milestone with delicious, easy-to-make recipes that do just that. McCain vegetables are frozen at its freshest with essential nutrients locked in, quick and easy to prepare, extremely versatile and, of course, delicious. Whether it’s a healthy stir-fry, chips with a burger or a divine side for a braai – whatever you fancy – McCain has the answer.
Chicken Burger with Skinny Fries
Preparation: 20 min | Cooking: 30 min | Serves: 4 -6
30ml (2T) olive oil
500g McCain Skinny Fries
15ml (1T) salt
500g chicken mince
1 egg, lightly whisked
60ml (1/4c) cake flour
15ml (1T) lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, crushed
15ml (1T) sweet chili sauce
15ml (1T) Portuguese chicken seasoning
15ml (1T) dried origanum
30ml (2T) olive oil
Oil for frying
6 Bread rolls
Heat oven to 180ºC.
- Toss McCain Skinny Fries with the olive oil mixture and spread in a single layer in a casserole dish or on a baking tray.
- Follow the cooking instructions on the pack. When cooked they should be golden-brown and crisp with a light, fluffy centre.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and shape the mixture into patties.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium/high heat and fry the patties on each side for 6-7 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Assemble your burgers with the bread rolls, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and gherkins.
Hawaiian Steak Stir Fry with Avocado
Preparation: 20-25 min | Cooking: 12-15 min | Serves: 4 - 6
400g rump steak, cut into strips
5ml (1t) cayenne pepper
5ml (1t) honey
15ml (1T) olive oil
700g McCain Hawaiian Stir Fry
1 finely chopped red onion
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
salt and pepper
1 green apple, deseeded and diced
45ml (3T) lemon juice
Handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
15ml (1T) salt
6 tortillas. Grated Cheddar cheese
Hawaiian Steak Stir Fry
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine steak strips with cayenne pepper, honey, olive oil and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Put your nonstick pan on high heat for a minute and stir-fry the rump steak strips for 3-5 minutes. Remove the steak strips and place them in a bowl. (Keep them warm.)
- In the same nonstick pan, fry red onion and chili until soft and brown, then add McCain Hawaiian stir fry and cook a further 3 – 5 minutes until there is no liquid visible, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the steak strips and diced green apple. Fry for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, avocados, fresh coriander, salt and mix well, mashing with a pestle or fork until the mixture is chunky.
- Heat the tortillas in a pan until they’re warm and pliable.
- Place a small amount of meat in each tortilla and top with the avocado mixture (guacamole) and garnish with cheddar cheese.
Serves: 4-6 | Preparation: 10 min | Cooking: 5-7 min
7ml (½T) butter
500g McCain Sweet Corn
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped
½ bunch of fresh dill
½ bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
3 sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
1T lemon juice
Salt and pepper
1T extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat butter in a medium-sized pan over a medium-high heat.
- Add the McCain Sweet Corn and cook for 5-7 minutes or until lightly golden all over and there’s no liquid present. Allow the corn to cool down.
- In a large bowl add the McCain Sweet Corn, red onion, chilli, dill, coriander leaves, sundried tomatoes, green pepper, fresh tomatoes and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle over with the extra virgin olive oil and mix well, then serve as a side dish to the tortillas or at a braai.
Win with McCain!
In the spirit of giving, you could stand a chance to win one of eight R1000 shopping vouchers, compliments of McCain.
All you have to do is try one of our recipes and share your creation using the hashtag #growingtogether and #madewithmccain on either Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
Two winners will be announced every Friday on the McCain social media platforms.