Our slow-cooked, tender eisbein and spicy broccoli with a bit of a kick is flavourful and fuss-free for Sunday lunch!
Tomato-braised Mini Eisbein
3 Eskort Smoked Mini Eisbein
410g (1tin) tomato puree
410g (1tin) tomato and onion mix
250ml (1c) red wine
60ml (¼c) fresh rosemary, chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
250ml (1c) water
45ml (3tbsp) vegetable stock
5ml (1tsp) olive oil
5ml (1tsp) salt
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1L (4c) boiling water500ml (2c) polenta250ml (1c) cream
Spicy tenderstem broccoli
45ml (3tbsp) olive oil
45ml (3tbsp) butter
juice from one lemon
300g tenderstem broccoli
1 green chilli, chopped5ml (1tsp) saltzest of 1 lemon
- Place all the ingredients in a pot, cover with foil and then the lid to prevent moisture from escaping.
- Braise the Eisbein over low heat for 3 hours to ensure it cooks slowly until tender.
- In a large pot and on high heat, fry the olive oil, salt and garlic until golden.
- Slowly add the water and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the polenta and whisk until smooth.
- Close the lid, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and remove from the heat.
- In a large frying pan over high heat, heat the olive oil, butter and lemon juice.
- Once the butter melts, add the broccoli, chilli and salt.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest and remove from the heat.
- Plate a portion of creamy polenta and top it with an eisbein covered in the rich tomato sauce. Serve alongside the spicy broccoli.