Heartbreak is by no means a pleasant experience.
Whether you’re at the receiving end of a breakup or the one initiating it, the end of a relationship is devastating nonetheless.
While the pain suffered after being dumped is unavoidable, there are ways to soften the blow.
If you’re thinking of calling it quits but grappling with exactly how you’re going to conduct the delivery, read below.
We’ve got you covered!
- Take time to think as the end draws nigh.
Take time to consider whether the breakup is indeed what you want. Place yourself in a position without your significant other being in your life. For instance, think about how you won’t have that special someone to hit up after an emotional day or that your weekends will be spent sans lover. Are you truly ready for that? If you still believe you are, and that the relationship has run its course, take some time to prepare yourself for the worst before dumping your partner.
- Don’t be a sissy.Please. You don’t want to be the one delivering the blow so you create a situation which forces them to leave you. It’s a horrible idea. Not only because it’s dishonest, but it unnecessarily creates a bad image of you. It’s best to lay the cards truthfully on the table.
- Ghosting is even worse. Ghosting is a modern-day dating trend that’s as heartless as they come. It’s when someone disappears without warning or reason and they do this because they lost interest but are too spineless to admit it. This is a cruel way to break someone’s heart. The least that person deserves is an explanation – especially when you’ve been in a relationship with them.
- ‘It’s not you, it’s me’. Big no-no when it actually is them. Lying about why you’re leaving someone makes your job harder and puts them under false pretence. Sometimes, your reasons for dumping someone could help them. If he has characteristics that are overwhelmingly negative, telling him could make him decide to work on those personality flaws for the next relationship.
- Lovers to friends will not make amends. There’s a saying: If you managed to remain friends after a breakup, you were either never really in love with each other or totally still are. Staying mates after one of you just dumped the other is a recipe for disaster. It complicates things and makes it difficult to move on. You cannot get over someone when the reason for your broken heart is seated and sipping coffee across from you.
- Steer clear of the revenge. Breakups can be nasty. Just ask Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna, the poster couple for a horrendous split. Revenge porn or badmouthing your former flame are two of the many vengeful things you should rather avoid. Yes, he was a douchebag, but focus of yourself. You just got your life back, girl!