Five facts about the blue whale you didn’t know
1. It’s impossible to weigh a blue whale because it’s so massive. They’re estimated to weigh between 150 and 170 tons.
2. They’re among the animals that make the loudest sounds and can hear one another from a distance of 1 600 km.
3. The blue whale’s heart can weigh as much as a small car and its tongue as much as an elephant.
4. Blue whales are found in all oceans and are solitary animals but sometimes swim in small groups or pairs.They’re found in the Polar Regions during summer and migrate towards the equator in winter.
5. Their ears are very different from human ears. Whales pick up sounds via their throats. The sound then moves through bone tissue to the inner ear in the skulls.
Learn more about blue whales in the video below