Young YOU| Toxic plants

accreditation
Share your Subscriber Article
You have 5 articles to share every month. Send this story to a friend!
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Don’t underestimate the power of plants – not all plants are pretty and harmless. (Photo: Getty Images/Gallo Images)
Don’t underestimate the power of plants – not all plants are pretty and harmless. (Photo: Getty Images/Gallo Images)

Don’t underestimate the power of plants – not all plants are pretty and harmless. Many contain chemical substances called biotoxins which are harmful to humans and animals.

Some of these biotoxins are potent enough to kill you if you ingest it. Plants developed these toxins as a defence mechanism against animals that want to eat them. These toxins usually taste unpleasant and animals quickly learn to avoid those plants.

You’ll be surprised to learn how many plants we see in our daily lives can be deadly. Small children might ingest some of these toxins – especially if the plant has pretty fruit or berries because they think it’s edible. This can have tragic results. If you think someone was poisoned by a plant, you need to seek immediate medical help. This week, we take a look at which plants* you need to steer clear of.

Support independent journalism
Subscribe to News24 for just R75 per month to read all our investigative and in-depth journalism.
Subscribe
Already a subscriber? Sign in