- 60ml - apricot jam
- 750ml - milk
- 2 - large eggs, separated
- 30ml - butter
- 175ml - sugar pinch of salt
- 1ml - each ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon
- 200ml - sago, rinsed in cold water
- 2ml - almond essence
Tuck into this yummy old-time baked sago pudding recipe!
Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease an ovenproof dish.
1. Place the sago and milk in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer until the sago is translucent. Lower the heat and add 125 ml (½ c) of the sugar and the salt, spices, almond essence and butter.
2. Beat the egg yolks and mix gradually into the sago mixture. Spoon into the prepared dish.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Beat in the remaining sugar and continue beating until well incorporated and glossy.
4. Dot the top of the pudding with apricot jam and spoon the egg white mixture on top.
5. Bake for 30- 40 minutes or until the meringue topping is golden brown and the pudding is set.