Gift an article

Man given 1% chance of survival after being burnt as a baby becomes TikTok star

accreditation
Share your Subscriber Article
You have 5 articles to share every month. Send this story to a friend!
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
loading...
Loading, please wait...
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Joshua Reyes was just a toddler when he poured flammable liquid over himself and now he’s on a mission to teach people the importance of self-love. (Photo: Instagram)
Joshua Reyes was just a toddler when he poured flammable liquid over himself and now he’s on a mission to teach people the importance of self-love. (Photo: Instagram)

The day his life changed began uneventfully enough. It was a warm day, the sun rising high in a cloudless sky – the perfect weather for a little boy to play outside.

Which is exactly what two-year-old Joshua Reyes was doing. But as the day wore on and the temperature soared, the toddler went in search of water to cool down. He grabbed what he thought was a bottle of water and poured the liquid over his head and down his neck, then tossed it aside.

“But when I threw the bottle away, it hit a gas water heater and exploded,” he says.

Read this for free
Get 14 days free to read all our investigative and in-depth journalism. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed.
Subscribe
Already a subscriber? Sign in