Gauteng family still coming to terms with carbon monoxide poisoning of couple who tragically died in a guest house shower

Share your Subscriber Article
You have 5 articles to share every month. Send this story to a friend!
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
The Hoon family – daughter Michelle Green, mom Maria, dad Sakkie and daughter Suné – are broken after the death of their daughter and sister, Mari and heer fiancé Jean.  (Photo: Lubabalo Lesolle)
The Hoon family – daughter Michelle Green, mom Maria, dad Sakkie and daughter Suné – are broken after the death of their daughter and sister, Mari and heer fiancé Jean. (Photo: Lubabalo Lesolle)

She often catches herself staring into space, tears streaming down her face, and has no idea how long she’s been sitting like that.

Her grief over her daughter is like being in prison, Maria Hoon says – she feels trapped in an endless cycle of darkness, in a world she no longer feels part of.

“To say I’m shattered doesn’t even begin to describe it, she says. “I’m an empty shell – there’s nothing left of me. I feel like I stopped living when my child died.”

There’s more to this story
Subscribe to News24 and get access to our exclusive journalism and features today.
Subscribe
Already a subscriber? Sign in