This KZN mom lost half her face and all her limbs after she was bitten by a pet mongoose

accreditation
Share your Subscriber Article
You have 5 articles to share every month. Send this story to a friend!
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Shaninlea Visser contracted septicaemia after a mongoose bit her hand. (Photo: Darren Stewart)
Shaninlea Visser contracted septicaemia after a mongoose bit her hand. (Photo: Darren Stewart)

She knew something was wrong as soon as she got to work – she felt feverish and nauseous and when she went to try to freshen up in the bathroom she fainted. Confused and frightened, Shaninlea Visser asked her boss to drive her to the hospital emergency unit.

“My hands and feet were on fire – it was the worst pain I’ve ever experienced,” Shaninlea tells us from her home in Sezela, south of Durban. “My kidneys started to fail and my arms and legs were pitch black. My nose and lips too.”

The diagnosis was shocking. Shan, as everyone calls her, had contracted septicaemia after a friend’s pet mongoose bit her on the hand.

Support independent journalism
Subscribe to News24 for just R75 per month to read all our investigative and in-depth journalism.
Subscribe
Already a subscriber? Sign in