This family couldn’t be more thankful for their pet parrot.
Barbara Klein and her husband Larry, along with their granddaughter Kaitlyn Rose Pellerin, were all asleep when a fire broke out in their kitchen on 3 February, Independent reports.
Their parrot, named Louie, managed to wake the family up by repeatedly saying “fire” – a word he had astonishingly not used before.
“Louie is a true hero,” Barbara told Fox News.
“If it weren’t for him I probably would have been sleeping during the fire. He started squawking ‘fire’.
“He had never said that word before in my recollection. When I woke up the fire was starting to spread across the living room floor.”
Louie and the family’s four dogs tragically died in the fire.
Larry reportedly ran into the kitchen to attempt to save their pets but to no avail, LadBible reports.
“He ran to the kitchen and was trying to put the fire out with water.
“After we left, he ran back into the house to try to save our puppies and his grandfather's guitar.
“He kept saying he couldn't breathe, and I was shouting at him to leave the house. I told him to get down and he crawled out.
“I pulled him out of the fire. Then we got in the car and drove out of the driveway,” she said.
The 61-year-old was rushed to hospital with serious burns and smoke inhalation.
“He burnt his hands, face and nose and they had to clean his lungs out. He was put into a coma. It was a miracle he survived,” Barbara said.
Larry was discharged from hospital just before Kaitlyn’s sixth birthday.
The community has been raising funds to help the family rebuild their lives.
“People have reached out with clothing and someone donated an apartment for three months,” Barbara said.
“The man who donated the apartment also gave us a baby parrot as well. We call him Louie Jnr.”