With its moderate spring weather, now is the ideal time for a Wild Coast break. Enter our competition, and you and your family could soon be relaxing in paradise.
With its vistas of Indian Ocean waves crashing onto long, unspoilt white beaches, the West Coast is breathtakingly beautiful. It’s also home to Sun International’s Wild Coast Sun Resort – a perfect mild-weather holiday destination in spring.
Flanked by the ocean, a river, lagoon and 750 hectares of lush indigenous forest, the property boasts an R80-million water park; a games area for children; outdoor sports; a top-ranked, 18-hole golf course; a casino and a range of restaurants.
Located just 5km from Port Edward, the resort straddles the border between KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape. It is less than a two-hour drive from Durban’s King Shaka International Airport and 90 minutes from Durban.
There’s also plenty of adventure to be had in the area. Take your pick from deep-sea fishing charters; rock, surf, fly and spear fishing; scuba diving; hiking trails and horse rides on the beach. Walk along stunning sandy beaches where the only footprints are your own. Hunt for relics from one of the old shipwrecks along the coast or wait for low tide to visit an ancient, petrified forest.
The area is also home to the 11-hectare Red Desert, recently proclaimed to be the smallest desert in the world. The area is now a nature reserve and an internationally protected heritage site.
The 18-hole championship Wild Coast Sun Golf Course is famed for its magnificently curated fairways and greens that cross rugged terrain of hills, ravines, rivers, dams, waterfalls and the lagoon until the final 18th hole, which has unforgettable views of the Indian Ocean.
The Sports Centre has a gym, lawn bowling greens and squash and tennis courts. The entire family will enjoy activities such as Segway tours, quad biking and cycling.
Adults can choose between smoking or non-smoking casinos. Try your luck on the slot machine games and the roulette table or try your hand at a card game like blackjack, poker or baccarat.
Indoor entertainment for children is provided by the Magic Company and Cosmic Bowling in the Aloha Village, while Squawkers offers supervised fun for children over weekends and school holidays. The AquaPlay area will keep smaller members of the family safely entertained for hours.
The entire family will enjoy the adrenalin rush of the Wild Waves Water Park. It boasts some of the world’s best water rides imported from White Water West in Canada. Choose from a gentle Lazy River tube experience to more adventurous, heart-pounding body slides, water tube rides and flume experiences.
And when you’ve run out of energy, recharge at the hotel’s Mangwanani Spa. Their African-inspired therapies and treatments will leave you feeling rejuvenated.
Paradise is closer than you think!
One lucky reader can win a mid-week break for a family of four valued at about R26 000. To win, simply answer the below question.
Even if you don’t win the competition, YOU readers can still save! Get up to 40% off on a mid-week stay at the Wild Coast Sun Resort when you book via www.suninternational.com/specials/media-24/.
- A five-night, mid-week stay for a family of two adults and two children at The Wild Coast Sun valued at just under R15 000 (breakfast included). Wake up to sea or jungle views every day and step out of the hotel directly onto the beach.
- Dinner vouchers for Chico’s Restaurant for any two nights of your stay, valued at R1 480 in total. The whole family will be spoilt for choice at this buffet restaurant.
- Daily entry for a family of four to the Wild Waves Water Park – valued at R2 800. It’s warm enough to take a splash in winter. The Boomeranga, Aqua Loop and Superbowl rides will please thrill seekers or just relax at the Lazy River and the special children’s interactive water-play area.
- A R1 880 spa voucher for the Mangwanani Spa. While the adults enjoy stress-busting treatments, younger members of the family can visit the kids’ spa for special treats such as African warrior face paints, a forest fairy manicure, a twinkle toes pedicure and more.
- A relaxing river cruise valued at R600. The Riverside Aqua Sports and Beach Bar on the Mtamvuna River offers extensive outdoor water sports, including kayaking, speed boating, stand-up paddling, peddle boats and tube rides.
- An adventure-packed, dirt road quad biking experience valued at R2 400. It’s the perfect way to experience the area’s beauty and ruggedness. Novices will receive training.
- A horse ride along the beach with Ocean Trails Equestrian Centre valued at R1 200. Experienced riders and novices can fill their lungs with fresh, salty sea air while riding along an unspoilt beach and through the breakers. Start from the lagoon at low tide to see the fossils at the petrified forest. Ride past caves overhung with lush greenery nurtured by fresh mountain streams that spill over the edge. The ride ends at the Mzamba River with magnificent views of the gorge.
- A R1 600 voucher for the entire family to play at one of South Africa’s most beautiful golf courses. The verdant green par-70 Wild Coast Sun Golf Course forms part of the South African PGA Circuit and boasts magnificent ocean and river views.